Friday, September 19, 2014

Vonye 15, 173


I took a deep breath. The air was so sweet that night – like perfume. What was that scent? The sky was aglow with stars. The ocean was black. It melded with the land, and the only thing that enabled me to tell them apart was the glow cast on the island by the villages. My village was lit with warmer, closer stars, whose warmth and welcome reached my mind as sad and wistful. Humans lived there. They worked and played and laughed and cried. Their had their own lives, personalities, relationships. I hardly knew any of them, and now I never would.
But I had to move on. I had been there for over thirty years, and I was hardly eighteen. They were growing up without me. Mother had gone on without me, but I remained young and hardly changed. It seemed the older I got, the slower I grew. I couldn’t handle staying around them. I needed change.
I turned away. My eyes passed over the sign by the road – the one nestled in the leafy trees. Allanyo. Highvale. Perhaps we’ll meet again. It is my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment